We’ve all been there; dirty dishes in the sink, endless loads of laundry, cat fur stuck to the carpet, dust bunnies, ironing etc. and the list goes on and on. Sometimes it can seem completely overwhelming and it’s hard to know where to start! A lot of the time what happens to me is that I get SO overwhelmed that I do something else that is completely trivial because I don’t know where to begin…so instead of tackling the laundry, I sort out a drawer that no one ever opens or I sit down and read a book. I suppose avoidance is the easiest solution when we don’t want to do something. I’ve found what really works for me is to set a timer for 5 minutes! Let’s face it; there are very FEW things that you CAN’T do for 5 minutes, it’s the perfect amount of time to get motivated and accomplish easy tasks.
Here’s the plan: Let’s say you have to do laundry, dishes, dusting and clean the bathroom:
- Set a timer for 5 minutes and turn on some music
- Start cleaning for 5 minutes and only do what you can do for 5 minutes eg. in 5 minutes you may be able to dust the living room and windex the coffee table but hey, that’s two things knocked off your list!
- When the 5 minutes are up, switch to a different task.
I know that 5 minutes isn’t a long time but it’s enough to keep you focused and allow you to get started which is really the hardest part. What I find usually happens is you’ll continue to clean after the five minutes are up! This it’s almost like a game and it makes cleaning fun…or as fun as it can be and it builds momentum. Try this with other tasks that you also may have trouble with starting such as writing, brain storming, exercising, folding laundry, organizing mail etc. and you’ll be quickly surprised at what you can accomplish! Happy cleaning!
I think that couples can sometimes get into a routine with things. We tend to go to the same restaurants, or do the same activities or even just spend a lot of weekends in front of the t.v. in silence. This happened to us and my husband and I decided to shake things up a bit. We got a few popsicle sticks, a marker and a jar and went to work; we wrote down a bunch of fun activities that we could do on each stick and put them in the jar. Now each week we pick out a stick and do what it says! It stops boredom, allows you to try new things and most of all it allows you and your significant other to do something fun together. Let your imagination be your guide! Here were some of our ideas:
- cruise around town
- dinner theatre
- jazz club
- line dancing
- local festival
- art crawl
- pub crawl
- comedy club
- walking on the beach
- wine tasting
- farmers market
- mini golf
- take a free class
- poetry reading
- race track
- pool hall
- cook together
The list is endless! Have fun with this and most of all enjoy the memories you create!
A few awesome and easy tips to make your life easier in the kitchen!
- Here’s a really simple tip for those of us who love natural peanut butter but hate the oil slick that rises to the top of the jar. All you have to do is store the jar upside down! This helps the oil to distribute evenly, leaving you with a yummy treat and not a goopy, oily mess.
- You’ve made pancakes but have run out of syrup. Before saying, “What’s the point?” and being super disappointed, try this trick. Combine 2 cups of frozen berries (mixed berries are really great for this) and 1/2 cup of water. Bring the berries and water to a boil and simmer for about 2 minutes until it thickens. Then drizzle over pancakes and you’ve just saved the day plus some precious calories!
- After preparing a beet salad, you’ve got purple stains all over your fingers and hands-the easy solution is a potato. Cut a potato in half and rub the cut side over the purple stains. There’s a natural acid in potatoes that helps breaks down colour pigments and acts as a, “bleach.”
Stay tuned for more tricks and tips that will save you money, headaches and time!
Here’s an awesome recipe for a deep conditioning hair mask. It’s perfect for the winter conditions that tend to dry out hair and cause static because it contains moisturizing ingredients that will make your stressed tresses say, “Ahhh!”
- 1/4 fresh avocado
- 1 tsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 tbsp of pure sesame oil (not the toasted kind)
- 3 drops of rosemary essential oil
Place all of the ingredients EXCEPT the rosemary in a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir in the rosemary oil. Apply to ends of hair, working your way up to the scalp. Massage gently and let it sit for 30 minutes while you relax. Shampoo and rinse, follow with your favourite conditioner and repeat once a month for best results!
So this is my reward for 45 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill. Sometimes you just have to dangle a carrot or 2 to motivate yourself. Anyways, this super simple, green clay face mask is perfect for oily or problem skin. My skin isn’t oily but it is problematic in terms of redness, sensitivities and itchiness especially in the winter. Green clay draws out the impurities and is soothing- sounds perfect.
I bought this at the local health food store awhile ago and the shelf life is indefinite, preferably 4-5 years though. I took 2 tbsp of clay and mixed with warm water just enough to make a paste. Then I spread it in my face and neck- wait 5-8 minutes then remove, follow with your favourite moisturizer. That’s it! Who knew beauty could be that simple and relaxing? 😜
Everyone struggles with a raging appetite at one time or another and here at WASGC, we can totally relate! We wanted to come up with some ways that work for us for controlling our cravings that are simple and effective, so here’s our tips:
- Hard candies-Suckers, Jolly Ranchers, mints etc. These definitely work for me when I need a sweet treat that won’t blow the bank on calories. 3 Jolly Ranchers for example are 70 calories. I get that you could eat an apple and fill up on fibre for the same amount of calories but sometimes the apple just doesn’t cut it. Jolly Ranchers really help me out and they take FOREVER to dissolve which is very helpful if you’re craving something sweet and are being tempted by something that’s worse eg. chocolate cake.
- Sugar free gum-Any flavour is usually about 5 cals for a piece, be careful with this one though because too many can cause a laxative effect and that is something you DON’T want ( I know from experience-gross)!
- Start your day with protein-Protein helps keep hunger at bay and keeps you fuller longer. So start with some natural peanut or nut butter, (or hell, have a spoonful in an emergency), protein powder added to a smootie, eggs/egg whites, liquid egg substitute. String cheese is also a good portable option for some protein as a snack in between meals if you’re starving and the cupcakes in the break room are calling your name.
- Dill Pickles-OMG this is one of my FAVOURITE TIPS for appetite control because I use it all the time and it works! I crave salt quite often and a dill pickle or 2 really helps to satisfy my craving-it’s got crunch and salt and let’s face it, that’s all we’re really looking for in the bottom of a bag of chips isn’t it? My favourite brand is Strub’s Kosher Full Sour Pickles (1-pickle is 0 calories btw), obviously all pickles are high in sodium so take it easy.
- Hot Tea or diet Hot chocolate-This works when you are thirsty but might not know it and your body is trying to tell you it’s hungry. Anything hot takes longer to drink so that in itself will help you bypass the craving, (they usually take about 20 minutes to disappear, so ride it out like a wave and it will pass!), check out our recipe for a Comfy, Cozy, Coffee Treat on our Recipes page, it’s only 135 calories and will stop you from eating an entire tray of brownies, so we say that’s worth it!
The point is, everyone struggles with cravings and they can really get in the way of our health goals. So now, armed with the tools we’ve given you for crushing your cravings, we know you’ll be successful on winning the battle.
My favourite brand of pickles! As you can see the jar is almost empty:(