Since it is the month of LOVE we thought we’d share some awesome beauty recipes that include simple ingredients that your body will love. So get to the kitchen and start mixing like a mad scientist!
Best Ever Brown Sugar Body Scrub:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (sifted)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (the real stuff is better)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 4 tbsp brewed coffee grounds (just the grounds not the liquid)
Mix all of the ingredients together. Once you start to stir the extra virgin coconut oil it will liquefy. The brown sugar acts as exfoliants that will smooth rough skin and the extra added bonus of the coffee grounds is skin tightening! The extra virgin coconut oil acts as an emollient that soothes and softens the skin. The vanilla is for the heavenly scent ;).In the shower gently rub in a circular motion, using a little extra on those rough spots such as elbows, knees, bottom of feet and hands. Rinse and enjoy a smooth, glowing bod!
Gorgeous Glow Face Mask:
- 2 tbsp unpasteurized honey (the kind that looks like wax, not the kind shaped like a bear)
- 1/2 cup plain full fat yogurt
- 2 tsp Kelp powder (powdered seaweed, this can be found in health food stores, just be sure there’s nothing added)
Mix all of the ingredients together. The mask will turn a wonderful green colour. Apply the mask evenly and relax in the tub with a good book while you wait for it to dry (10-15 mins). If you don’t know what to read, check out what we’re reading! In that time be prepared for your significant other or your cat to burst through the bathroom door and be slightly alarmed when they see it on your face…trust me on this one it never fails.Honey is an anti-inflammatory and great for soothing skin, the lactic acid (alpha-hydroxy acid) in yogurt dissolves dead skin cells and kelp tightens pores! This mask is the whole package. After the mask is dry/slightly dry, gently rinse with warm water and pat dry. Add your fave moisturizer and get glowing!
Beautiful, Bouncy, Shiny Hair:
- 1 can of Guinness Beer
- Your favourite shampoo (One preferably without sodium lauryl sulphate-foaming agent. Our fave brand is Living Proof Full Shampoo. Living Proof does NOT test on animals! And you can buy this at Sephora.)
- Your favourite conditioner (Ours is Living Proof Full Conditioner sold at Sephora)
Open the Guinness and let it sit until it goes flat (approx. 30 minutes), in the meantime shampoo hair and rinse well. Add the now flat Guinness beer to your locks, pouring the entire can over your head. Work the Guinness well into your strands and let it sit for 3-5 minutes. This may be uncomfortable because the beer was probably colder than the shower temp, but it will be worth it trust me! Follow with conditioner and dry and style as usual. Beer, especially Guinness, is AWESOME for hair because it’s full of protein and B vitamins that strengthen hair cuticles. It’s like a vitamin bath for your mane. Plus your significant other might be attracted by the scent-just in time for Valentine’s Day.